The Healthcare Market
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other federal electronic healthcare records initiatives are two key issues for the healthcare industry. These initiatives require healthcare providers to convert to electronic information systems and adopt secure, effective information management practices that protect patient privacy. We provide affordable, easy-to-use Enterprise Content Management (ECM) that assists healthcare providers with:
- Converting to electronic information systems to boost productivity.
- Adopting secure information management practices to simplify information security.
- Protecting patient privacy to build patient confidence and trust.
As part of the economic stimulus package, healthcare providers are eligible for tens of thousands of dollars (nearly $20 billion total) in health IT incentive payments to assist them implement a certified electronic health records system. Additionally, $2 billion in health IT implementation grants and loans are available through the state. Health IT funding is a result of the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act), part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
Although the compliance deadline passed in April 2005, only 55% of healthcare providers said they have implemented HIPAA security standards, according to HIMSS and Phoenix Health Systems.
Electronic Information Systems Boost Productivity
Document accuracy, timely records retrieval, secure information distribution and disclosures are crucial to a provider’s HIPAA compliance and operational efficiency. Managing information with PaperVision® Enterprise or ImageSilo® ECM product suites aid providers in responding to information requests quickly, ensuring secure disclosure processes, improving patient and employee services and reducing errors.
Privacy Protection Builds Patient Confidence and Trust
Patient information privacy is the primary goal of HIPAA. Providers understand that technology is key to HIPAA compliance and building patient trust. PaperVision Enterprise and ImageSilo help providers maintain secure, private records.
- Five levels of security user, group, document, function and project control and monitor employee access to ensure patient privacy.
- Disclosure controls ensure employees share records only with pre-approved recipients.
- Document history and user action reports detail system activity and enhance accountability.
- Redaction restricts the viewing or disclosing of sensitive information within a document and maintains patient confidentiality even if a document is shared.
– Capture, store, index and retrieve information electronically for improved accuracy and efficiency.
– Multiple levels of security protect information from unauthorized access, theft and disaster.
– Extensive audit trails log disclosures and provide documented evidence of compliance.
ECM Enables HIPAA Compliance
ECM technology provides document and system security that acts as a means for unified compliance and operational efficiency. Many hospitals, doctor’s offices and outside business associates use our solutions to address HIPAA privacy and security regulations. PaperVision® Enterprise, on-premise ECM, and ImageSilo®, our Software as a Service (SaaS) ECM service, are affordable, easy-to-integrate systems that also help healthcare companies reduce records management costs and enhance productivity.
Compliant Disclosure Processes
HIPAA regulations require healthcare providers to track and document all disclosures of PHI to any internal or external party. De-identification requires companies to strip all PHI from a document before it can be shared. Healthcare providers use our disclosure tracking technologies to enforce strict policies and procedures for sharing patient information.
- Redaction hides PHI to de-identify records and protect patient privacy when a document is shared.
- Enhanced auditing restricts information sharing to a pre-approved list of recipients and records every disclosure, including who received information, when and how.
- Document grants allow secure, temporary, web-based information access for external parties, such as insurance providers and outside practices.
System Activity Monitoring and Disaster Recovery
HIPAA requires companies to identify data backup methods and review operations routinely to identify potential security violations. Healthcare providers must ensure information has not been changed or erased in an unauthorized manner. Extensive security settings, system reporting features and disaster recovery tools can be included with ImageSilo and PaperVision Enterprise and enable HIPAA compliance.
- The system tracks all user activity, including successfully completed, attempted or suspicious activities, such as trying to open protected records without security clearance.
- Unalterable logs show who accessed which pieces of information and provide documented evidence of HIPAA controls.
- Backup processing and data replication ensure information availability.
To learn more about ImageSilo® and PaperVision® Enterprise, our electronic document management systems, click here: Learn More